Friday, January 19, 2018

MUSIC (South Africa): Koze Kuse by DJ Merlon ft. Mondli Ngcobo


In Koze Kuse, DJ Merlon and Mondli Ngcobo offer us a song with a powerful and assertive street-beat. Even the timed pauses, as you wait for them to exhale (so you can, too), project macho power and unfettered determination. One senses that apartheid is, somehow, the unstated target here -- albeit a progressively receding, and hazier and hazier, one.

The expression of tender love, thrown in there for good measure, is itself soldierly -- freedom-fighter(ly), sort of. All of this, one imagines, reflects DJ Merlon's own vision of "Who we are". 

Click to watch the Koze Kuse video

Still, you can't escape the gentle beat which goes along with the happenings which populate the song's (and the singer's) path.

READ: "Koze Kuse becomes an accidental star" 

[So, at the time the song came out, were DJ Merlon and Mondli Ngcobo musical "Upstarts", or their deal a "Startup" of sorts?]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this song, now that I know the meaning, I love even more