Thursday, April 19, 2018
LingalaPop, Volume 4
This is Volume 4 of this blog's series of #LingalaPop music. The point has been made in Volumes 1 and 2 that certain Congolese music productions have all the features -- and effects on audience (or fan) sensibilities -- which are typically associated with or seen in pop music, as broadly understood. I have even grouped what I consider to be stand-out examples of that kind of Congolese music under the hashtag given above.
As previously pointed out, I have included Lingala in that hashtag in order to give due respect to that expansive lingua franca of the Greater Congo, which serves (in word and/or tone) as the base for the songs referenced here. Most of the songs are sung by Congolese nationals at home or in the diaspora -- but, interestingly, not all. In Volume 3, for example, two Kenyan Queens (Victoria Kimani and Akothee) featured in a full-throttle sort of way.
Nor is Lingala the language that Congolese artistes, or those that they sing with, invariably use in the included songs. In Tucheze, Ferre Gola sang a considerable chunk of the lyrics in 'heavy-accent' but recognizable Swahili, while VK sang her part almost entirely in English. Nigerian artiste J. Martins appears with Ferre Gola in Ekelebe, in Volume 4, with enough gravitational force to influence FG's celestial orbit. The same FG who sings, shall I say, not in lyrical Lingala but bemusing English. Still, Lingala's tonal influence on both proceedings is not escaped, in whatever charming mix we may come upon the ingredients.
Volume 4, like the previous three, showcases 10 video (or audio) clips which on good grounds qualify to be labelled, and which therefore exemplify, #LingalaPop. Indeed, I think that the songs are the leading ones in that genre. Perhaps I should say: among the leading ones.
My selection of #LingalaPop titles so far published has also been been mostly restricted to those about which I have made 'substantive' comments already (or have ranked in #TheYamboSelection series) -- over the stretch of a few years. And I have restricted my commentary essentially to songs that have "reached my ears" in one way or another.
But the urge to share exemplary or exciting 'finds' on a particular list (scheduled or not) may prompt -- indeed already has (in #TheYamboSelection series), and in some instances perhaps should -- the publication of the list before the narratives related to particular titles are ready for release, or even 'fully' drafted. The fact is that there's just so much music being produced these days -- and increasingly "all over".
It would unduly lengthen the intervals between particular volumes in the series and, what's more, overwhelm any one commentator to endeavour to say something meaningful about each "drop", so to speak -- or even about "many enough" -- in any kind of timely fashion. That is, despite the fact that one's timing on one's blog is 'entirely' one's own. The lister's work is never done, experience teaches! Such comments as I have already made are available on this blog, and I give below the link associated with each listed song. Those that are not yet made will, hopefully in the main, follow.
The songs listed below are not arranged in any particular order of rank. I really love all of them, and think you will do so too. Let me also add that the 'burst' of incoming evidence that I have encountered as I have continued with my (re)search on songs that deserve inclusion means, alas/happily, that even Volume 4 will not be the last. There's going to be a Volume 5 -- and perhaps a 6.
About the video/audio clips included in Volume 3:
You may have to Right Click the song of your choice on the list below, and then choose the "Open link in a new tab" option in order to watch or listen to the clip.
1. Billi by Kanda Bongo Man (2014)
2. Ekelebe by J. Martins ft. Ferre Gola (2016)
3. Napesi by Makoma (1999, 2012)
4. Porte Monnaie by Ferre Gola ft. Gout (2011)
5. La Beaute d'un Femme by Mbilia Bel (2017)
6. Robot by Koffi Olomide (2010, 2017)
7. Etoula by Diblo Dibala ft. Loketo (2017)
8. Perdue de Vue - Espelisa by Yondo Sister (2013, 2017)
9. Magastar by Heritier Watanabe (2018)
10. La Femme et L'argent by Diblo Dibala (2016)
Find below links to previous Volumes ~ 1, 2 and 3:
1. LingalaPop, Volume 1
2. LingalaPop, Volume 2
3. LingalaPop, Volume 3
Labels:
#LingalaPop,
Congo,
Congolese,
Kenyan,
Lingala,
LingalaPop,
Nigerian,
Volume 1,
Volume 2,
Volume 3,
Volume 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment